News and Events
Kristi Martel '13, Hayley McElhinney '13, Geoffrey Trautman '13 and Brian Kavjian '13 (University Park)
Randall Robinson, distinguished scholar in residence at Penn State Law and Penn State School of International Affairs, author, and human rights activist will be among the 31 heroes of the anti-apartheid movement who will be honored at a Freedom Day ceremony on April 27. The day marks the 18th anniversary of South Africa’s first all-race vote.
When you call Rosa Gomez ’08 at her office, you’ll hear a friendly “hola.” Her first language, Spanish, is a necessity since 90 percent of her clients are Mexican and the other 10 percent of South American descent. They too, must feel a sense of calm and relief when Gomez picks up the phone to know someone is on their side.
“People are unaware of how egregious abuse of migrant workers can be,” said Holly Moncavage ’13. This summer, she will work to raise awareness through a Peggy Browning Fellowship at The Workplace Project in New York, New York. “I will help fight for lost wages, do some translation, and give ‘Know your Rights’ presentations,” she said. The Workplace Project focuses on uniting immigrant workers and their families to push for better living and working conditions.
Penn State Law students Rachel Keung ’13 and Daniel DeCurtis ’12 traveled the distance to the Clinton County Correctional facility from their office at the Law School’s Center for Immigrants’ Rights in less than an hour.
Rain or shine, prepare to pound the pavement by participating in Penn State's Dickinson School of Law 5K Race Judicata to raise funds for the Law School's Public Interest Law Fund (PILF) and Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP).